I made the switch to Ubuntu exactly 6 weeks ago and have not looked back. I’m, for the most part, very happy. I still have a handful of things I’m trying to get past.
Here is the list without any order/precedence placed on the items.
1. Need to get dual monitors working.
2. Network printing/printers
5. What to do with my Palm Pilot and it’s data
6. Using apt-get behind a nasty firewall
7. How to talk to people on AIM via Gaim when behind firewall
8. Write to a NTFS external usb drive
9. ssh through the same ugly firewall I’ve been mentioning throughout this list.
So a number of these items (6, 7, 9) would be issues on a Win XP box and I understand that. I’ll let them sit without getting to angry over them. However, the fact that it’s been 6 weeks and I can’t get dual-monitors working is VERY FRUSTRATING!!!
As a Win XP laptop I could go to work and use one external monitor, then I could go home and plug in a different external monitor. This just worked. Simple. Easy. The fact that with linux this has to be so damn hard is one of the reasons linux will not make it into the corporate desktop environment.